The Eco Store is filled with items that support the Arboretum’s theme of sustainability. Located on the first floor of the farmhouse and open whenever the farmhouse is open, you can shop for unique items for yourself or for gifts. Proceeds support our scholarship program for local students! The items carried in the store are either Fair Trade items from around the world, or have at least one of the following characteristics:
- Made from recycled or reused materials or ”re-gifted”
- Made from materials that meet the minimum standards as “environmentally friendly” to be determined at the sole discretion of GreenAllies. (ie: organic, low impact materials, hemp, cork, etc..)
- Has an environmental theme or message
- Provides service to reduce environmental impact (ie: energy saving products, compost containers, etc…)
- Made locally with local products
WHAT IS FAIR TRADE?
The core value of “fair trade” is that the artisan is the center of our mission. Decisions we make are always driven by the best interests of the artisans. We work with artisans from some of the poorest areas on the planet as partners that include them in the decisions that affect them. We work cooperatively to set prices and ensure that the price the artisans set is enough to enable them to develop a sustainable future that improves their lives.
FAIR TRADE PRINCIPLES OF THE FAIR TRADE FEDERATION
- Create Opportunities for Economically and Socially Marginalized Producers – Fair Trade is a strategy for poverty alleviation and sustainable development.
- Develop Transparent and Accountable Relationships – Fair Trade involves relationships that are open, fair, consistent, and respectful.
- Promote Fair Trade – Fair Trade encourages an understanding by all participants of their role in world trade.
- Pay Promptly and Fairly – Fair Trade empowers producers to set prices within the framework of the true costs of labor time, materials, sustainable growth, and related factors.
- Support Safe and Empowering Working Conditions – Fair Trade means a safe and healthy working environment free of forced labor. Throughout the trading chain, Members cultivate workplaces that empower people to participate in the decisions that affect them.
- Ensure the Rights of Children – Fair Trade means that all children have the right to security, education, and play.
- Cultivate Environmental Stewardship – Fair Trade seeks to offer current generations the ability to meet their needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
- Respect Cultural Identity – Fair Trade celebrates the cultural diversity of communities, while seeking to create positive and equitable change.
The second goal is to promote local businesses and artisans by displaying and selling products created locally.
Local crafters who would like to be considered as vendors can contact nancy
SHOP WITH A SUSTAINABLE ENVIRONMENT IN MIND
The most important feature is that our products meet the minimal standard of “environmentally friendly”. Common items made out of recycled or reused materials promotes both creativity and a more sustainable planet.