But it needs lots of TLC!
Built, we believe, in the 1700’s (we found the logs in the walls from when it was a log cabin!) the house has gone through lots of changes and families. It was bought in the 1950’s by Pastor Althouse and his wife who were the last residents. It’s been vacant the last 20 years and just a few short years ago his grandchildren, wanting to preserve the home of so many pleasant memories, donated it to the GreenAllies.
The housed has its original hardwood floors, wood beams and open fireplace. Beyond that it needed a lot of work. While we’ve been working on the house for the last few years and are grateful to those who gave their time and skills to getting it to this point, this week our student volunteers took their day off from school to continue the painting and other work they started on Volunteer Day.
Thanks to our volunteers we are at the point of adding electricity and insulation, soon drywall. (We could definitely use a couple volunteers to drywall! Contact us if you’re available!) When finished the upstairs will be the office of Green-Allies (the organization that is responsible for everything that happens at the Arboretum) and the downstairs will be a Community Center where walkers, neighbors and community can rest, convene or just hang out. In the works is a small library of nature books, displays and even a gift shop!
Our plan is to open in May for our Community Picnic and Native Plant Sale the day before Mother’s Day so we’ve got some work to do!